Lead Software Engineer
About Student Beans
Student Beans is the world's leading student loyalty network. We produce our award-winning technology for the biggest retailers on the planet, connecting them with the youth market and driving hundreds of millions of pounds of student sales every year. Student Beans can verify 163 million students in 52 countries and is used by over 500 of the world's most famous brands - Google, TopShop, Apple, GymShark, Starbucks ... to name a few! As winner of Digital Business of the Year, we consistently innovate to offer new solutions that drive ROI for our clients, satisfy our consumers and create an empowering workplace for our employees.
Since 2017, Student Beans has tripled the size of its teams London, Manchester, Birmingham and Philippines and opened brand new offices in New York and Melbourne. But we’re not stopping there! Over the next few years, we will be growing from 100 to 400 staff worldwide and launching into brand new territories across USA, Europe and APAC.
At Student Beans, we have a thrilling and exciting journey ahead, with ambitious goals and incredible possibilities. We are looking for great people, who want to be part of something amazing, to join us.
As a result of our continued success and growth, we are looking for a Lead Software Engineer to join us.
Reporting to our Technical Director, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the strategy and architecture of our award-winning software. As Lead Software Engineer, you will manage a team of incredibly talented and passionate Back End Developers and drive the innovation of our platform on a global scale. You’ll take the lead on projects throughout the full software development life-cycle, overseeing delivery of the highest quality code and most innovative solutions, whilst empowering those around you to voice their own ideas and make autonomous decisions.
We are working with what we believe are the best tools that are currently available, and we constantly look to improve and renew. In order to achieve the best result in this fast paced, constantly evolving industry you will need to be able to quickly adapt and learn fast. Being at the bleeding edge of technology is very exciting and makes our work varied and fun, however brings with it a lot of challenges that can only be overcome by working together and staying true to our principles, and learning from our mistakes and failures.
We’d really like to hear from you, if you have:
- Advanced back-end development skills in any of the following: Ruby on Rails (highly desirable), PHP, Python or Java.
- Proven success within a managerial role, empowering and leading a team of Developers.
- Experience within an Agile/SCRUM environment.
- A visionary, but analytical mind with a passion for solving problems and building solutions.
- Bright ideas, constant curiosity and value to add.
- Fantastic communication and stakeholder-management skills with the ability to work within a cross-functional and multilocational team.
- that you want to be listened to and a desire to really make your mark!
- Experience with MySQL or other relational DBs.
- DevOps skills in any of the following would be highly advantageous: Python, AWS, Docker, Puppet, Terraform and Packer
Life at Student Beans
Our Engineering Team is a collective mix of the most passionate and talented Developers and Designers in the country. Take a look at what life for you at Student Beans would really be like - http://careers.studentbeans.com/engineers/
We are continuing to build a platform that we are passionate about and a business that our employees are proud to work for. We are a product-driven business and our technology is at the heart of everything we do.
At Student Beans, we believe our success is only due to the fantastic people that have helped us on our journey. And so creating a fun and unique culture, where the environment is empowering and rewarding for our Engineers, is our main priority!
Here are just a few reasons why our Engineers think Student Beans is an awesome place to work:
- Our culture: relaxed, adult, autonomous, empowering - no hierarchy or project cherry-picking!
- Our projects: working as part of a Squad within an Agile, fast-paced and dynamic environment, you’ll collaborate with other Developers and Designers to internationalise our product - you’ll be constantly challenged, constantly learning and constantly improving.
- Our growth: by 2020, we would have grown from 70 to 370 people and opened offices across USA, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- Our stack: we work with the most cutting-edge technology to produce only the highest quality code for our clients - Google, Apple, TopShop, Domino’s.
- Our PERKS: remote and flexible working (12pm starts!), very generous annual leave, access to ALL our student discounts, free gym membership, famous Christmas/Summer parties … and salaries are pretty good as well!