Back End Developer
About Student Beans
Student Beans is an industry-leading, global marketing platform. We produce our award-winning technology for the world’s most famous brands such as TopShop, Microsoft, Apple, River Island and Domino’s, connecting them with the youth market and driving hundreds of millions of pounds of student sales every year. We consistently innovate to offer new solutions that drive ROI for our retailers and brands, satisfy our consumers and create an empowering workplace for our employees.
At Student Beans, we are on our most exciting journey of growth yet! In 2017, we doubled in size, significantly growing our London, Birmingham and Manchester offices and launching for the first time in New York. In 2018, we will be doubling the size of our business again and expanding our global reach into the rest of USA, Europe and Asia.
Student Beans is engaging more students with more brands than ever before; our technology is revolutionising the industry … and we are looking for great people to join us!
We are looking for talented, constantly-curious and ambitious Back End Developers of all levels to join us.
As a Back End Developer, you will be working with a group of highly talented and passionate people to not only develop, but shape the architecture and future of a unique platform that allows brands and local businesses to connect to their student customers. As we grow extensively and experience an exciting time of change, you will play a pivotal role developing our industry-leading back end system and have fantastic exposure to the full development life cycle, including project management and product design.
We are working with what we believe are the best tools that are currently available, and we constantly look to improve and renew. In order to achieve the best result in this fast paced, constantly evolving industry you will need to be able to quickly adapt and learn fast. Being at the bleeding edge of technology is very exciting and makes our work varied and fun, however brings with it a lot of challenges that can only be overcome by working together and staying true to our principles, and learning from our mistakes and failures.
Student Beans are open to candidates with experience in a variety of back end programming languages - Ruby, Python, PHP or Java. This is an incredible opportunity for you to cross-train and use the most-cutting edge technology to internationalise our product that is engaging millions of students with the most famous brands on the planet every day.
We’d really like to hear from you, if you have:
- Experience in Ruby on Rails.
- An analytical mind - a passion for solving problems and being constantly curious!
- The ability to work autonomously, as well as collaborate within a team on project-based work.
- Bright ideas that you want to be listened to and a desire to really make your mark!
- Good communication skills.
- Experience with TDD and/or BDD.
- Experience with MySQL or other relational DBs.
It would be a bonus, but not essential, if you have:
- Experience with Scrum and/or similar processes and methods.
- An understanding of the ELK stack
- Exposure to some ELT pipeline, preferably Snowplow
- DevOps experience in any of the following:
- Ubuntu (or any other linux distro)
Life at Student Beans
Our Engineering Team is a collective mix of the most passionate and talented Developers and Designers in the country. Take a look at what life for you at Student Beans would really be like - https://about.studentbeans.com/careers/engineering
We are continuing to build a platform that we are passionate about and a business that our employees are proud to work for. We are a product-driven business and our technology is at the heart of everything we do.
At Student Beans, we believe our success is only due to the fantastic people that have helped us on our journey. And so creating a fun and unique culture, where the environment is empowering and rewarding for our Engineers, is our main priority!
Here are just a few reasons why our Engineers think Student Beans is an awesome place to work:
- Our culture: relaxed, adult, autonomous, empowering - no hierarchy or project cherry-picking!
- Our projects: working as part of a Squad within an Agile, fast-paced and dynamic environment, you’ll collaborate with other Developers and Designers to internationalise our product - you’ll be constantly challenged, constantly learning and constantly improving.
- Our growth: by 2020, we would have grown from 70 to 370 people and opened offices across USA, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- Our stack: we work with the most cutting-edge technology to produce only the highest quality code for our clients - Google, Apple, TopShop, Domino’s.
- Our PERKS: flexible working (12pm starts!), access to ALL our student discounts, free gym membership, famous Christmas/Summer parties … and salaries are pretty good as well!