Ruby on Rails Developer
About Student Beans
Student Beans is an industry-leading, global marketing platform. We produce our award-winning technology for the world’s most famous brands such as TopShop, Microsoft, Apple, River Island and Domino’s, connecting them with the youth market and driving hundreds of millions of pounds of student sales every year. We consistently innovate to offer new solutions that drive ROI for our retailers and brands, satisfy our consumers and create an empowering workplace for our employees.
At Student Beans, we are on our most exciting journey of growth yet! In 2017, we doubled in size, significantly growing our London, Birmingham and Manchester offices and launching for the first time in New York. In 2018, we will be doubling the size of our business again and expanding our global reach into the rest of USA, Europe and Asia.
Student Beans is engaging more students with more brands than ever before; our technology is revolutionising the industry … and we are looking for great people to join us!
As a Ruby on Rails Developer, you will be working with a group of highly talented and passionate people to not only develop, but shape the architecture and future of a unique platform that allows brands and local businesses to connect to their student customers. As we grow extensively and experience an exciting time of change, you will play a pivotal role developing our industry-leading back end system and have fantastic exposure to the full development life cycle, including project management and product design.
We are working with what we believe are the best tools that are currently available, and we constantly look to improve and renew. In order to achieve the best result in this fast paced, constantly evolving industry you will need to be able to quickly adapt and learn fast. Being at the bleeding edge of technology is very exciting and makes our work varied and fun, however brings with it a lot of challenges that can only be overcome by working together and staying true to our principals, and learning from our mistakes and failures.
The Beans Group are open to candidates with a range of experience at different levels - as long as you are passionate about Ruby on Rails!
- Experience with modern scripting languages
- Ability to demonstrate team and project-based work
- Good communication skills
- Ruby/Rails experience - preferably at scale
- Experience with TDD and/or BDD
- Experience with MySQL or other relational DBs
- Experience with Scrum and/or similar processes and methods
- Experience or at least an understanding of the ELK stack
- Exposure to some ELT pipeline, preferably Snowplow
- DevOps experience in any of the following:
- Ubuntu (or any other linux distro)
Life at Student Beans
Our Engineering Team is a collective mix of the most passionate and highly talented technical professionals in the country. Take a look at what life for you at Student Beans would really be like - http://careers.studentbeans.com/engineers/
There are many things that make working here rewarding, but we believe that a business is only as good as the people who work there - which is why we only hire great people! We are building a business we are passionate about and really proud of. Here are just a few things that make Student Beans an awesome place to work:
- Amazing culture - an empowering and creative environment, where you are encouraged to voice your ideas and make autonomous decisions.
- Flexible working hours (midday starts and early finishes!).
- Competitive salary.
- Famous Christmas and Summer Parties, regular socials and adventurous activities.
- Free gym membership.
- Major discounts on the world’s biggest brands.
- Incredible induction training within continuous on-the-job support and mentorship - if and when you need it.
- Exposure to the latest, most cutting-edge technology.