Back End Developer
About Student Beans
Student Beans is an industry-leading, global marketing platform. We produce our award-winning technology for the world’s most famous brands such as Google, TopShop, Microsoft, Apple, and Domino’s, connecting them with the youth market and driving hundreds of millions of pounds of student sales every year. As winner of Digital Business of the Year, we consistently innovate to offer new solutions that drive ROI for our retailers and brands, satisfy our consumers and create an empowering workplace for our employees.
In 2017 Student Beans doubled in size, growing all of our UK offices across London, Birmingham and Manchester, but we also opened our brand new office in New York! In 2018 we will be embarking on our most exciting journey yet, tripling in size, expanding internationally across Europe, Asia and Australasia and continuing to engage with even more of the world's biggest brands.
As a Back End Developer, you will be working with a group of highly talented and passionate people to not only develop, but shape the architecture and future of a unique platform that allows brands and local businesses to connect to their student customers. As we grow extensively and experience an exciting time of change, you will play a pivotal role developing our industry-leading back end system and have fantastic exposure to the full development life cycle, including project management and product design.
We are working with what we believe are the best tools that are currently available, and we constantly look to improve and renew. In order to achieve the best result in this fast paced, constantly evolving industry you will need to be able to quickly adapt and learn fast. Being at the bleeding edge of technology is very exciting and makes our work varied and fun, however brings with it a lot of challenges that can only be overcome by working together and staying true to our principals, and learning from our mistakes and failures.
Student Beans are open to candidates with a range of experience at different levels - as long as you are passionate about back end development!
We’d really like to hear from you, if you have:
- Experience programming in Ruby on Rails (desirably), or similar back end development language: Python, PHP or Java.
- An analytical mind - a passion for solving problems and being constantly curious!
- The ability to work autonomously, as well as collaborate within a team on project-based work.
- Good communication skills.
- Experience with TDD and/or BDD.
- Experience with MySQL or other relational DBs.
It would be a bonus, but not essential, if you have:
- Experience with Scrum and/or similar processes and methods.
- An understanding of the ELK stack
- Exposure to some ELT pipeline, preferably Snowplow
- DevOps experience in any of the following:
- Ubuntu (or any other linux distro)
Life at Student Beans
Our Engineering Team is a collective mix of the most passionate and talented Developers and Designers in the country. Take a look at what life for you at Student Beans would really be like - http://careers.studentbeans.com/engineers/
We are continuing to build a platform that we are passionate about and a business that our employees are proud to work for.
At Student Beans, we believe our success is only due to the fantastic people that have helped us on our journey. And so creating a fun and unique culture, where the environment is empowering and rewarding, is our main priority!
Here are just a few things that make Student Beans an awesome place to work:
- Industry-leading induction and training programme, with incredible career opportunities available, including management and international relocation/travel.
- Empowering and autonomous environment; you're encouraged to transform your ideas into tangible solutions and make a real impact!
- Amazing culture - office Sonos, ping pong, overflowing fruit bowl, sweet treats and drinks fridge!
- Flexible working hours - late starts and early finishes!
- Competitive salary
- Famous Christmas, Summer Parties, regular socials and adventurous activities
- Free gym membership
- Ridiculously tempting partnership discounts for the world's biggest brands ... Apple, Microsoft, Domino's ... to name a few!