About Student Beans
Student Beans is an industry-leading, global marketing platform. We produce our award-winning technology for the world’s most famous brands such as TopShop, Microsoft, Apple, River Island and Domino’s, connecting them with the youth market and driving hundreds of millions of pounds of student sales every year. We consistently innovate to offer new solutions that drive ROI for our retailers and brands, satisfy our consumers and create an empowering workplace for our employees.
Having recently won Digital Business of the Year, Student Beans is about to embark on its most exciting journey yet, as we plan to triple in size over the next 2 years! We are significantly growing our London, Birmingham and Manchester offices, but also expanding internationally across US, Europe, Asia and Australia.
About The Role
We are seeking a DevOps Engineer, who is passionate about building robust and scalable web applications, to join our Engineering teams in either Birmingham or Manchester. You will pioneer the innovation of our production infrastructure, as we grow our business to a global scale. The successful candidate will join our incredibly talented engineering team and work within an empowering and creative environment, where we encourage you to voice your ideas and make autonomous decisions. Working at the cutting edge of technology, you will play a major role in deploying our award-winning technology across the globe, as we internationalise our product for the very first time.
A successful candidate will:
- Be obsessed with automating anything and everything.
- Not tolerate ‘good enough’ when it comes to the tools they write and use.
- Have no fear in terms of trying new technologies and new techniques.
- Be a speed freak - fast just isn’t fast enough when it comes to system performance.
- Have a passion for five 9s.
- Take complaints about system performance and reliability personally and ensure no complaint is made twice.
- Have strong programming and/or scripting skills in at least two languages such as Python or Ruby
- Have an excellent knowledge of security, encryption, authentication and authorisation.
- Have access to sensitive company and client data and so be reliable and trustworthy.
A successful candidate is likely to:
- Have a good degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Engineering, Physics or Computer Science).
- Have an excellent understanding of modern networking, including the OSI model and TCP/IP.
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of SANs, virtualisation, switches, firewalls, NAT, load balancers, web servers, RDBMSs, SEIM, Docker (or similar Linux container technologies) and IDS/IPS systems and the role of these technologies in a web application infrastructure.
- Possess an understanding/experience of: AWS, Docker, Puppet, Terraform and Packer.
- Be able to demonstrate a systematic and analytical approach to problem solving.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Enjoy working under pressure in a team and/or independently as required.
Life at Student Beans
Our Engineering Team is a collective mix of the most passionate and highly talented technical professionals in the country. Take a look at what life for you at Student Beans would really be like - http://careers.studentbeans.com/engineers/
There are many things that make working here rewarding, but we believe that a business is only as good as the people who work there - which is why we only hire great people! We are building a business we are passionate about and really proud of. Here are just a few things that make Student Beans an awesome place to work:
- Amazing culture - an empowering and creative environment, where you are encouraged to voice your ideas and make autonomous decisions.
- Flexible working hours (midday starts and early finishes!).
- Competitive salary.
- Famous Christmas and Summer Parties, regular socials and adventurous activities.
- Free gym membership.
- Major discounts on the world’s biggest brands.
- Incredible induction training within continuous on-the-job support and mentorship - if and when you need it.
- Exposure to the latest, most cutting-edge technology.